Sunday, March 7, 2010

TD: Abbey Road

I've always been fascinated by iconic cities--the ones that influence music, film, entertainment, and even history. Many cities manage to fulfill some of these duties, but if you were to ask a random person on the street to name the most famous cities in the world, I can guarantee that London would be in the top five, if not the top three. I came back to Copenhagen today after a week in The Queens Country, surrounded by the history and culture that you see in so many films and hear in so many songs. In fact, I nearly watched a "Waterloo Sunset" from outside of Waterloo Station as the Kinks sang about.

 Of course there are the usual landmarks--The Tower of London, London Bridge, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, The British Museum, etc. Then there's the less "known"--Notting Hill, Camden, Brick Lane, Covet Garden, Tate Modern, etc. 

And then...there's Abbey Road. It sits comfortably in its own category as a musical mecca. Beatles fans worldwide travel to London to sit in front of Abbey Road Studios or walk across the street just as the Fab Four did in their famous album cover photograph. I considered shedding my shoes for a barefoot stroll like McCartney but the 45 degree whether forced me to restrain myself. Even being what I'd consider as a moderate Beatles fan (Much more since living in Europe), I was in awe. In the middle of a very quaint (and very rich) residential neighborhood, is where perhaps the greatest rock band in world history recorded a volume of music that may never be topped.

A white wall lines the front yard of the small studio and on it are messages to the legends themselves. "We love you, yeah yeah yeah" and "Beatles >God" are just a few I noticed. Some more unfavorable messages like "Let it Be--Paul" also appeared. There was no retail store in sight (no commercial "Beatlesmania gimmick stores or touristy boutiques around this Rock monument)...just a white house where the studio is still functioning, a long wall with the marks of the inspired, and a cross walk.  

Music fans of all kinds owe a little something to the Beatles. That's how I looked at my thirty minute journey from Central London to the residential community of St. John's Wood (City of Westminster) where the studio resides--As a thank you. 

Taylor


No comments:

Post a Comment