Tuesday, August 16, 2011

CW: The Mexican Umbrella

This summer, as I wait to start my adventure in NYC as a volunteer counselor, I am cleaning out my closet that has not been touched in 4 years (as well as working in a chair factory - possible future post; "The American Dream: An Account of a Real-Life Rosie the Riveter). Not to my surprise, I have been welcomed with many memories: pictures from 3rd grade, old love letters, empty handles of Vladimir vodka, and a folder full of poems and stories I had written in grade school. 

My dear friends, I am sure I have told you about the legend (wait for it....) ary poem I wrote in 8th grade where my teacher commented, "Awesome, Just Awesome!!" and where my Mom-Mom, to this day, insists I get it published.  Well, I have found that poem. So I present to you without further ado...

"The Mexican Umbrella"

Mexico is not a good place to be an umbrella.
This is the reason why I’m such an unlucky fella.
So, let me tell you my hunky-dory story,
I hope it’s self-explanatory.

Mexico’s weather is hot like a fire.
There’s never any rain, which struck my desire,
To be more beneficial at another place,
So I no longer may feel like a disgrace.

Don’t tell anyone, but yes I admit,
That I was green with envy toward that nitwit.
Oh yes, that coat was always allowed to go outside,
While I was left tattered and teary-eyed.

Going outside only when it rains,
Can make an umbrella start to complain.
This is why I was extremely resolute
To get out of this place, even by parachute!

The suddenly came the moment I had always hoped for.
My life would no more be a bore.
My owner told me, “It’s time for you to be boxed!”
Pound! Before I knew it I was deadlocked.

She then drove dreadfully for what seemed like a year.
Abruptly, the brakes went slam! Like the brakes of a train engineer.
The words Salvation Army are what I first saw,
And I was so excited like a child in awe.

Days went by as I just lay on the table.
I was beginning to think that I was mislabeled.
Nobody even gave me a second glance.
The opportunity that I may be bought was a fat chance.

Unexpectedly, a handsome young man picked me up.
I was so nervous, for this was my first close up.
But, the man was so friendly and benign.
He then walked me over to the check out line.

It has been several months since that great match,
And we have forever been attached.
I am always being used outside,
Together, we travel far and wide.

“Umbrella, you’re the greatest object that I have ever had!”
I reply telling him, “Oh no, I’m just a fad.”
Every day we get along so well, like a snake and its rattle.
This relationship is balanced well in since it rain all the time in Seattle!

©2003




Two days after I found this simple 10 stanza poem, I found my final 32 page paper I wrote last semester for my psychology capstone class.  Oh, education...

P.S. I also found a short story I wrote in the midst of the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics titled, "Go For It!" a tale of how my sister and I drop out of school to become bobsled olympians.  If my life had gone according to plan, I would have won an olympic gold medal in 2010 and be engaged to speedskater, Apolo Ohno. 

No comments:

Post a Comment