Monday, January 4, 2010

MM: Graffiti Appreciation

In an attempt to add some more variety to this blog and break up the Pat Taylor DeBoer music/movies monopoly that is currently taking place in the new year, I am going to introduce all you TSTLN readers out there to a very talented and mysterious British man I came across a couple years ago by the name of Banksy. I was introduced to him by my friend Kaela, who thought I might take interest in him when I told her about my fascination with graffiti after a train ride through New Jersey.

Banksy, whose identity has never been discovered, uses walls, streets, sidewalks, and anything else in sight to dress up cracks and holes or address controversial topics via what some consider art and others vandalism. Whatever you think it is, you cannot deny it is significantly more interesting and imaginative than the illegible bubble letters and incoherent scribbles of most graffiti “artists.”

Here are some of my favorites:













And last but not least...


If you want to check out more of Banksy's work, go to http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/Banksy/banksy.htm which has pretty much every Banksy creation ever. Also, his official site is http://www.banksy.co.uk/

Peace out!
Meag

3 comments:

  1. meggers you totally stole one of my ideas for blogs i have not yet written!!! but thats ok you didnt know and i wouldnt have gotten around to writing it anyways heheh. I got a book of banksy work for christmas ill bring back sn yr to show you its pretty sick

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wrote that before i actually read your post. I'm famous, I got a shout out! Love youu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted this on meag's fbook wall,
    but anybody who dug this would also be wise to check out the graffiti hall of fame in Spanish Harlem NYC

    http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/manhattan/uppermanhattan/eastharlem/graffitihalloffame/index.htm

    ReplyDelete