Wednesday, January 27, 2010

PT: Most Listened to of 2010

It's early in the year, so I obviously can't have a list of my favorite songs or albums of 2010 (although Contra seems to be a certain lock for a top 5 spot, just the same as Merriweather Post Pavillion was last year). However, I'm bored and it's 1:42 a.m. in Ghana so I thought I would take advantage of my interweb connection and write about my top ten listened to songs since arriving in "The Gold Coast."

10) Lisztomania - Phoenix
This is a phenomenal song, one that gets trumped by the poppier 1901, but has as much potential to be a hit. It starts out with great lyrics and an interesting rhythm to keep you hooked.
9) Left and Right in the Dark - Julian Casablancas
This is a bit of a corny song off of Phrazes for the Young, but it's synths and guitar riff keep it on replay for me, as well as Julian wailing, "How long must you wait?"
8) What Would I Want? Sky - Animal Collective
The first song with an officially licensed Grateful Dead sample has a great mix with Avey Tare's vocals and Panda Bear's Brian Wilson-esque backup vocals during the second verse. Very catchy tune that is worth the 99 cents on iTunes.
7) Diplomat's Son - Vampire Weekend
The M.I.A. sample mesh well with Ezra's vocals, sounding as smooth as ever. After their self-titled debut, the Colombia boys were compared alot to Paul Simon, but this is the song that really does it for me. Also, Ezra goes so far as to mention smoking a joint. How risque!
6) I'm Not There - Bob Dylan
I've watched the movie a few times, and each time I do I rewind it to here the song. In my opinion, it contains one of Dylan's best lines of all time; "No I don't belong to her/I don't belong to anybody." That Dylan, man, so cool.
5) Elliott Smith - Abused
This is hard for me to say, but this is one of those few Elliott songs I DON'T have on my computer. A crime, I know, but I've watched the Kogepan youtube video of it over and over again. The guitar has a nicely built progression, and he really challenges his vocal skills. Very reminiscent of Paul McCartney.
4) Cat Power - Sea of Love
The other day I heard a reggae version of the song and I cried a little bit because of how much better Chen's stripped down version is. Absolutely gut-wrenching tune.
3) Elliott Smith featuring Jon Brion - Jealous Guy
John Lennon was a true lyrical genius, but this is the version that gets me every time. The whistle solo in the middle adds some much needed laughter to Elliott's music.
2) The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
London's Anthem is one of The Kink's finest songs in a catalogue filled with gems. Lyrically, it's filled with fantastic imagery, while it's musically simple. A great mix from one of the greatest bands of all time.
1) In the Flowers - Animal Collective
How could it be anything else for me? I fell in love with the opening track off of Merriweather as soon as I heard the first note. Some of their most poignant lyrics stacked on top of a great musical swell at the 2:30 mark make the song great, but the final verse is what makes the song one of their best to date. "Early hours, drunken days finally ended/And the streets turn for pillowcase." Ah A.C., you do it to me every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment