Friday, January 29, 2010

TD: America in Denmark

Ok, so for those of you participating in this blog that don't know...I'm spending my semester in Copenhagen, Denmark. Since I've been here, I've been going out to mostly pubs but last night I was dragged to a club in which they charged me 80 Kroner (about 16 dollars) to get in and then another 20 Kroner for the coat check (about 4 dollars). It was mostly 18 year old Danish hipsters either in high school or their first year of college. Mixed in were several Americans all from DIS (my study abroad school). It wasn't until I went to the bathroom around 12 30 AM that my night turned around. I'm standing there, peeing into the silver bowl and a group of Danes behind me starting singing Country Roads by John Denver in a Danish accent. Then a few more join in. As each new Dane enters the bathroom he starts bellowing the song, every word spot on. By the time I'm ready to exit, there are nearly forty Danes singing Country Roads at the top of their longs. I even joined in for a phrase or two.

Now I'm not an avid Denver fan, or a fan of that particular song; but when your in a strange country, surrounded by foreign languages and funny "O's" that have lines through them, its very pleasant to stumble across American subtleties that you brutally take for granted at home. I'm not trying to be sappy but as I exited the bathroom I ran into a fellow DISer laughing with excitement. Being away from home makes me crave the "cheesey" things about America that makes me hate it when I'm there. Hearing Lady Gaga, 50 cent, or in last nights case, John Denver at a bar would normally make me cringe...but not when I'm 3,500 miles away.

3 comments:

  1. Tay I feel your pain about the clubbing fees just wait til you visit Ireland. And i feel the same way about American cheese. I have asked the dj at every single bar we go to if they have and will play party in the usa. No dice. Ever. Its now become my mission to find a bar that will play it in Ireland. I don't even like that song. Its just so ....American

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor, you usually make me cringe but I appreciate you more when your 3,500 miles away. America just isnt the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TAKE ME HOME !!! TO A PLACE !!! I WAS BORN !!!

    wait isn't this an awesome song all the times? in every single possible scenario imaginables?

    ReplyDelete