Monday, December 21, 2009

MM: My Gingerbread Hut

Hi, my name is Meag, or Meag Nation, or Meagolas, or Meagaroni and Cheese, or Everyday Meag – whichever you prefer. I am always open to new nicknames.

I find the concept of The Stairs That Lead Nowhere fascinating yet terrifying at the same time. Directionless blogging!? How am I supposed to pick something to write about from the infinite amount of ideas there are in the world? And how am I supposed to form it into something that people actually want to read?

Anyone who knows me probably knows that I have this thing where I won’t show anyone anything I write. Ever. Sometimes when I am done writing something, I can’t even read it myself and I promptly delete it. So the fact that I am sharing this post with you right now is a really big deal for me. I hope you enjoy it.

WARNING: Gingerbread houses are not my thing. They require a lot of patience and self control, neither of which I have when graham crackers refuse to stay standing and candy is sitting within my reach.

Earlier today, I walked through a gingerbread house display and sent a picture of this particularly enchanting house to a friend claiming it was mine:



After I eventually admitted I was not the creative genius who assembled the house, he challenged me to make one of my own. I’m all about passing up challenges that I don’t deem myself fit to overcome, but he made me feel bad about not accepting because he is a heartless person. I gathered anything I could find and went to work. One frustrating hour later, some semblance of a gingerbread hut was formed.

Materials used:
Spiced Wafers (Philadelphia’s Original Ginger Snap) – I couldn’t find graham crackers, but I thought these Philly cookies would be a nice personal touch. Plus they’re actually ginger, unlike graham crackers.
One KitKat Bar
Two packets of Peanut M&Ms
One packet of Raisinets
One packet of Starburst
One Cookies-n-Crème Hershey bar
One Milk Chocolate Hershey bar
One Reese Cup
I couldn’t find any icing, so this hut was held together by faith and some swear words I would throw at it whenever it moved.



This is a frontal view of my gingerbread hut, complete with a spacious KitKat bar front porch (this is no run-of-the-mill hut, people.). I think the circular Reeses Cup front door adds some character and quirkiness to the curb appeal, combined with the Peanut M&M lawn. I made the executive decision to throw the Raisinets in the back, because who actually enjoys Raisinets?



This side view captures the architecturally-unsound structure of the walls. My sister, who is close to getting her masters in architecture from University of Maryland, gave my hut a look of disgust, but I was able to fend off her criticism with a Starburst. In the giving mood, I also gave my dad my second Reese, thinking a back door was unnecessary for a hut. It already had a front porch, I didn’t want to get too carried away. I would regret this moment of kindness a few minutes later.



So, the roof caved in. At this point, I had already eaten half of the Peanut M&M lawn, and I was already sick of the wafer walls falling and the Starbursts neglecting their duty of…well I don’t really know what they were supposed to be doing. Let’s say they were adding some color to the foundation. But they kept falling over. And it was annoying. Anyways, my first instinct was to repair the damage with my extra Reese, but my dad had already devoured it. I decided huts are allowed to have holes in the roof, so I left it as it was.

Let it be known that I am mortified to be posting this horrible excuse for a gingerbread house on the Internet, but I see this as the first step toward me letting going of my fear of sharing my creative side with others. I know it isn’t the best gingerbread house ever made, but I hope you won’t judge me for its faults, and I think it has some unique characteristics that make it somewhat endearing.

Peace out!
Meag

No comments:

Post a Comment