Wednesday, December 23, 2009

PT: Top 10 Beatles Songs (That The Average Fan Wouldn't Know)

The Beatles collection of #1 songs is one of the most annoying things to ever happen to music. Everybody already claims to love The Beatles, and when prodded into talking about albums, most people will only be able to say that they own 1. Now, 1 is by no means a bad album, but any Beatles album that boasts "Yellow Submarine," "She Loves You" and "Eight Days A Week" clearly isn't their best. Not even remotely.

It pains me when people say they like The Beatles and aren't able to expand that thought. It pains me that the soundtrack for "Across the Universe" is more popular to Loyola students than "Revolver" or "Rubber Soul." Mostly, though, it pains me because there are so many un-informed "Beatles fans" at Loyola that don't know shit. My roomate, Taylor DeBoer, once made a kid cry because the kid said he was a Beatles fan and Taylor confronted him. Maybe a bit too strong, but he had the right idea.

For those of you reading this that fall into the un-informed, follow my list of Top Ten Beatles Songs to move on in your relationship with The Beatles. Listening to 1 has some gems like "Yesterday" and "Something" (quite possibly the greatest love song ever), but there are plenty of Beatles songs that deserve the spotlight.

#1) Tomorrow Never Knows - Revolver
This is the defining track from The Beatles. It solidified the transformation into rock gods.
#2) Dear Prudence - The Beatles (White Album)
This gem appears on side 1 of The White Album and helps set the tone for the whole thing.
#3) I Want You - Abbey Road
I want you sounds like it could have come from the Velvet Underground at the end, and I love it.
#4) For No One - Revolver
For No One is as strong as "Yesterday" and includes a fantastic horn solo.
#5) She's Leaving Home - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Clubs Band
This is one of the only songs in which none of the Fab Four play any instruments.
#6) And I Love Her - A Hard Day's Night
One of the few early Beatles songs I enjoy. Simple acoustic and heartfelt lyrics. A deadly combo.
#7) Across the Universe - Let It Be
Most people know the version from the movie. It's like knowing Stephen Baldwin, not Alec.
#8) She Said She Said - Revolver
This is the song Oasis wish they could've written. An absolute masterpiece with a solid riff.
#9) Lovely Rita - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Clubs Band
Who knew a song about a meter maid could be so wondrous?
#10) I Want To Tell You - Revolver
"But if I seem to act unkind, it's only me it's not my mind." Superb lyrics with some catchy guitar work.

Please give more than the number one hits a look.

Sidenote: I didn't include songs that I thought were too well known that weren't on 1 as well. "A Day In The Life" isn't on 1, but most people know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment