Thursday, December 24, 2009

TD: The Five Best Albums of the Decade

Ok...So I was going to post my favorite ten albums of the decade but i decided to post the five best instead. I've been accused of offering my opinion on music too often so I don't want to make anyone cry-- pat "cough cough."

Number 5.

The White Stripes--White Blood Cells

This album was one of a few albums that changed music in the early part of the decade. With the release of this, along with a few others--The Strokes, etc--indie rock became "cool" again. It was also a chance for the world to see Jack White on a more grand scale--he might be the most prolific and gifted musician of the this decade.

Rec. track: "Fell in Love with a Girl" One of the most influential songs of the decade--simple guitar, simple lyrics but pure genius.

Number 4. The Killers--Hot Fuss

Ok, so I have to say, the Arctic Monkeys just missed my top 5. Their album Whatever People Say I am, I'm Not, is certainly one of the best of the decade and will be in the honorable mention at the bottom.

But now to the real number 4. Hot Fuss made mainstream music something bearable (sp?). Screaming teenagers and music fans finally had something in common. The Killers ability to fuze 80s music with modern rock was brilliant and every Killers' album since Hot Fuss as been solid. But it was Hot Fuss that started it all and that's why it sits comfortably at numero 4.

Rec. track: "All the Things I've Done" It has a little bit of everything including a catchy fucking chorus.

Number 3. The Arcade Fire--Funeral

I would go as far as to call this one of the most interesting albums of all time. A rock/indie/folk/goth/orhestral/pop/collective band from Canada. Arcade Fire have spawn a plethora of bands that combines rock with old world instrumentation and no one has been able to even come close. Their debut album (Funeral) is beautiful. And I know it's a side note but they put on one of the best live shows around.

Rec. track: "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) Speachless.

Number 2. Bright Eyes--I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

I don't even know where to began. This album has changed my perspective on music more than anything else I've ever heard. Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes is the best lyricist of this decade and this is his finest overall work. It captures New York City and early 20's perfectly (ya know, us). Buy it. listen to it. and listen to it again. Singer/songwriter masterpiece.

Rec. track: "We Are Nowhere, And it's Now" It's about being on the road for Oberst. If you listen in to it enough, it'll mean something entirely different to you.

Number 1. The Strokes--Is This It?

That's what I asked after I first heard the album in 2001; after my brother burned it for me. Now I was only 13 but I basically asked him, is this it?----Yes. And if you listen in to it enough you'll realize that the simplest album of the 2000's was the most influential. If it wasn't for The Strokes and this album, indie rock would not exist as we know it today. That means no Animal Collective, MGMT, THe Hold Steady, Passion Pit, Vampire Weekend, Arctic Monkeys, The Walkmen, The Killers, THe National, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon and many many many more.

Rec. track: All 36 fucking minutes




Honorable mentions:

Whatever People Say I am, I'm Not--Arctic Monkeys

Boys and Girls in America--Hold Steady

Alligator--The National

Oracular Spectacular--MGMT

Parachutes--Coldplay

Vampire Weekend--Vampire Weekend

For Emma, Forever Ago--Bon Iver

Good News for People who Love Bad News--Modest Mouse

and many more



sorry for the bad grammar and shit...consider me the ee cummings of blogwriting

4 comments:

  1. and Youth and Young manhood added to honorable mention, Kings of Leon (yes, they used to be good)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete